A few weeks ago a middle school group from NCCL returned a to Stone Mountain Adventures Teen Summer Camp. This was their 8th year coming to Stone Mountain Adventures and by all accounts it was one of the best experiences ever!
Founded in 1971, NCCL is a small private school located in Delaware serving students in grades K to 8. The tag line for NCCL is Small Classes, Big Ideas.
Here are some of the things that make NCCL unique:
- Rigorous academics that challenge without pressure
- Intentionally small to grow confident learners
- Expert teachers ignite the passion for learning that is within each child
- All homerooms are multi-aged with two full-time teachers
- Ongoing assessment but no standardized tests
- Dedicated teachers recognized regionally or nationally as experts in their field
- Teacher developed curriculum that meets or exceeds state and national standards
Focus on skills and habits now recognized as criticalto thrive in today’s world: creativity, critical thinking,collaboration, and communication
- Interactive field trips for all ages
- Workshop week for 5-8th grade
- Overnight campouts for 5-8th grade
- Weekly all-school meeting run by 7-8th graders
- Middle school business apprenticeships
This year we had 19 students and 4 teachers along with 4 SMA staff including: Brenna Powell, Simon Lefevre, Georgia Thomas and Kail Penner.
We had a full weeks while NCCL was at SMA Teen Camp. Here was our itinerary:
Monday 9/23: NCCL Arrives at 2pm followed by 2 hours of ice breakers and team building games.
Tuesday 9/24: Rock Climbing Adventure at Donation Rocks
Wednesday 9/25: Canoeing on the Juniata River from below the Petersburg Dam to the 4th Street Bridge in Huntingdon, PA
Thursday 9/26: We visited the Raystown Lake Ridenour Overlook followed by a 5 mile Adventure Hike at Trough Creek State Park. We finished the day with a swim in Raystown Lake and a BBQ at 7 Points Recreation Area.
Friday 9/27: Closing Day Activities including packing for departure and time for reflection.
Everyone who was involved with the SMA NCCL experience agreed that it was an incredible week!