The Stone Mountain Adventures Summer of 2020 is turning out to be one of the most unique in our 37 year history. On Wednesday, May 27, after much thoughtful consideration and given the uncertainty of current conditions with regard to COVID-19, we have come to the difficult decision that we will be cancelling SMA Session 1. The health and well-being of our camp community continues to be our highest priority. This is the first time in our 37 year history that we have cancelled a summer session.
While waiting to make a decision about the summer, we have been closely monitoring and in communication with the American Camping Association, the CDC, and the PA Department of Health as well as participating in sometimes daily zoom meetings with other summer camp directors and healthcare professionals. Recent developments have brought some clarity to our situation:
- Pennsylvania’s Governor Tom Wolf has implemented a Red, Yellow, Green Phase system to reopen the state county by county.
- We recently received the good news the Huntingdon County will move from Red to Yellow on 5/29. Centre County, located to our north where Penn State University is located, will move from Yellow to Green on 5/29
- The PA Department of Health recently issued a statement that overnight summer camps may operate under the green phase.
In the end it all comes down to what we do every year — prepare and plan for the summer ahead. During this time of year we’re always working hard planning for the upcoming summer. We attend camp conferences, prepare our facility, attend hiring fairs, and so much more.
So with all this planning we are hoping beyond hope that Huntingdon County moves from Yellow to Green in the weeks to come and that we will be able to run:
- Session 2 (SMA2) Sat 7/11 to Fri 7/24
- Session 3 (SMA3) Sun 7/26 to Sat 8/8
- Session 4 (SMA4) Mon 8/10 to Sat 8/22
We are Still Hiring!
In order to make the Awesome Summer of 2020 happen we are still hiring staff. We are hiring camp counselors to fill the following positions:
- Rock Climbing
- Mountain Biking
- Horseback Riding
- Wakeboarding and Water Skiing
- Athletic Sports Counselors
- Art Studio
- General Camp Counselors
All of our camp counselors and instructors share in the general duties of running camp including sleeping in the cabin with the kids and leading team building games. Camp Counselors at Stone Mountain Adventures must have the following qualifications:
- Experience or Interest working with kids
- Share in general camp counselor responsibilities (sleeping in bunks, etc.)
- Lead other camp activities based on your interest and aptitude (sports, white water rafting, service)
- 21+ Years of age
- Valid Drivers License
- Be excited about getting “Paid to Play” outside all summer!
Here’s how you can help us find awesome camp counselors this summer:
- Click Here to learn more about job opportunities at SMA
- Share the link on the blog post on social media
- Click Here to download our Staff Application
- Contact Camp Director Jud Millar Directly email@example.com